Monday 7 March 2016

Drive Green and SMITHs

Wherever I go nothing conjures up more passion and debate than the 'Drive Green' system which is  very beneficial.  The strength of feeling indicates to me how serious colleagues are about their Job role and the responsibility that goes along side it. Remember we are responsible for other peoples safety and lives, we have a very important role within the community.
   It's been here for a few years now and in my opinion, its value far outweighs any misdemeanour's.
It definitely improves my driving. For example, when I check my score and get data feedback on any incidents I have received I register  any improvement points.  I ask myself how could I have improved, what factors played a role.  It prompts me to alter my driving style to what can only be deemed customer friendly.
We are only human and not machines so it's inadvertent that on occasions we get an amber flash (or red if its deemed necessary).  But in the bigger picture I believe it gives a fair indication of my driving style and patterns that develop.
      The reason I am raising this, is 10 weeks ago I had a conversation with a fellow driver he had a high red or amber score for months.  We sat down and looked through the details of his run and we discussed a few pointers on how to lower his score. For the last 4 weeks, he has been in the top 10 of the depot drivers with a score below 5.   What a tremendous result he has achieved! The difference in his own approach is truly outstanding.  He now feels better about himself, better about his driving, more relaxed while driving and not stressed.   Keeping himself and his passengers safer and more comfortable is a constant element.
If you want to chat to me about 'DRIVE GREEN' please do so.  I will be more than welcome to advise or have a constructive debate about any issues or input you have.
Secondly, I would like to alert you to a great video that has just been released. This is a campaign based around the 'SMITHS' principals.  It's a really powerful video and colleagues that have seen it have benefited greatly. It's a real life scenario and James deserves our up-most respect for sharing his story with all of us.  Over the next few weeks the campaign will be running so keep your eyes open for the stories that drivers will be sharing.

Each of the videos promote safer driving and highlight the Smith System’s key principles:

Key 1 – Aim High In Steering
Key 2 – Get The Big Picture
Key 3 – Keep Your Eyes Moving
Key 4 – Leave Yourself An Out
Key 5 – Make Sure They See You


To watch the first video which features James, a driver from Larbert

 follow this link:
https://channelfirst.wistia.com/medias/6qjk7ltmbg

I will be in Hadleigh Depot  on wednesday 9th  and will be in Chelmsford Thursday 10th AM and Colchester PM



No comments:

Post a Comment