Saturday 30 January 2016

Safety as a Personal Core Value

I was walking my lovely rescue dog with my wife and daughter and while on my walks I often see drivers  and  sometimes even stop and say hello at a bus stop if time allows! So it is with particular pleasure that I want to tell you this story.
  I saw a driver carry out 'PAWS' whilst I was on my walk, an elderly customer boarded and I watched as the driver waited and used his mirror until she was safely seated. He then pulled away at a safe speed and merged into the traffic flow without incident. To say I was proud of my colleague goes without saying everybody knows how passionate I am about safety, so to see a shining example, for us all, I had to congratulate him.
So here in lies my dilemma  perhaps I wasn't going to see this driver for a week or so and wanting to seize the moment I completed a safety commendation on my phone. I felt he deserved to be congratulated for leading by example and showing others how it can be done.

I finally caught up with the driver on friday and I hardly had to say a word as soon as I said "I was walking my dog..." my colleague to his absolute delight (and mine) recounted the whole episode to me!
So he wanted to keep the customer safe, So he chose to use Paws, So he has Safety as a Personal Core Value!
we chatted for a couple of minutes and i'm sure he will recount the story to other colleagues.
It would be brilliant if we could all sing from the same hymn book and we all put our selves into the shoes of vunerable and old passangers.  Afterall,  we will all get old one day, am I wrong?
We have the power in our hands to act safely, only you can choose to take the correct option 'self and peers' are great sources of Safety Behaviour. If I make a mistake ,we all do from time to time we're only human afterall,  I give myself constructive feedback.What could I have done differently? We' ve all been there, but by turning it into a positive I learn from my mistake.

   Murphy, assistant safety rep and bus spotter

No comments:

Post a Comment